CABC Joseph Fellowship
Please take a moment to register/log in

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

CABC Joseph Fellowship
Please take a moment to register/log in
CABC Joseph Fellowship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOHO! long time forbidden
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 pm by ricky1218

» Bring The Rain!
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:15 pm by ricky1218

» song: 5 loaves and 2 fishes
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 am by Raymond I

» In a God who allow suffering (Chiense)-free
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

» keys to successful relationship/marriage (Chinese)
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:40 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

» in the Christian faith -English for free
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:33 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

» in Christ rather than religion -- English for free
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

» In a God who allow suffering (English only)-free
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:31 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

» Christians can look like they are not (English only)-free to read !
Skeptical leads to truth?? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:30 pm by sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Skeptical leads to truth??

Go down

Skeptical leads to truth?? Empty Skeptical leads to truth??

Post  sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Skeptical Thomas
And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
— John 20:28

When we think of Jesus' disciple, Thomas, one word comes to mind: doubt. But it would be more accurate to call Thomas a skeptic, not a doubter. And skepticism is not always a bad thing.

It has been said that skepticism is the first step toward truth. Skepticism is not always a sign that a person is wrong; it may be a sign that he or she is thinking. And frankly, I think some Christians could use a little more skepticism, because sometimes we are too quick to believe anyone or anything that comes along.

Thomas just wanted to know for himself. He didn't live off other people's faith, and that is admirable. Of course, we know that he missed the appearance of Jesus when He came to the disciples. So when the disciples saw Thomas and told him what happened, he said, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe" (John 20:25).

The next time the disciples met, Thomas was there. And guess who showed up? Jesus. He invited Thomas to look at and feel His wounds. But Thomas didn't need to. Rather, he said, "My Lord and my God!" So Thomas wasn't really a doubter. He believed when he was presented with the facts. Thomas, the skeptic, was a believer.

On another occasion, when Jesus had told the disciples He wanted to go to Bethany after Lazarus had died, they thought Jesus' life was at stake (see John 11:Cool. But Thomas said, "Let us also go, that we may die with Him" (John 11:16). Thomas was willing to lay his life down for the faith, and indeed he did. According to church tradition, Thomas died as a martyr.

Greg Laurie [Signature]

sabrina.shunhan@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum